Monday, February 6, 2012

Wood Firing #2 at Strathnairn

 After what I thought were good results from the first Strathnairn wood firing, I organised another firing to take place in October. This time I made vessels made from only the Spring Creek clay and used the same glazes. I did however, alter the way the glazes were sprayed on the pot by overlapping\over spraying the glaze in various places and thicknesses. I tried several different combinations.

The vessels I made this time generally had a narrow base which proved to be a little problematic. I made 20 pots for this group firing but only 12 survived, many fell over due to the narrow base and my incorrect wadding technique. I applied one large wad to stabilise my pots in the pack rather than several smaller ones - next time I will stick with several smaller wads on each pot (e.g. 3 or 5 or 7) to keep them upright during the high temperatures.

Front of kiln packed and ready to fired
Picture of one of my pots tipping over and touching the prop (Brick)

No comments:

Post a Comment