Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wood Firing #2 at Strathnairn: The Results

Despite many of my pots falling over due to either:
  • Incorrect wadding technique
  • Narrow bases or thrown\turned too thin at the base which encouraged slumping
  • Or the Spring Creek clay having too much iron\flux in it causing slumping and imbalance.
I did get some results I was pleased with.

Next time I will be sure to:
  • Take my time with packing and applying the wadding - so it's right
  • Consider slightly wider bases to improve stability
  • And maybe add a small amount of kaolin (i.e. introduce more alumina) to the Spring Creek Clay body so it is more resilient to the high temperatures (and the relatively longer period of time at high temperatures, when compared to my normal gas firings) of the wood kiln.

Front of kiln after firing. Many of the pots have tipped over (see top right and middle top and bottom).

Surface detail at the top of one pot. Pots lined with black glaze.
Untitled 2011 - glaze with glossy surface

Untitled 2011 - glaze with matt surface due to what I think are unmelted ash deposits

No comments:

Post a Comment