Monday, February 13, 2012

Building the Spring Creek Kiln: The Design

Once I had the kiln site selected I started to plan and design the kiln to suit. I didn't want to transport too much to the location so I planned to use materials around the farm as much as possible. As long as I could:
  • Build it by myself
  • Fire the kiln by myself using timber found on the farm
  • Get the kiln to cone 10
  • Get ash deposits on the work
Because I was happy with the work I had been getting out of the ground hog style kiln that Fred Olsen built at Strathnairn I borrowed his book The Kiln Book and applied many of the design priciples he advocates in it. I also used Handbook for Australian Potters by Janet DeBoos, Stephen Harrison and Leonard Smith to guide me in the selection of construction materials.

The picture below shows the internal lining of the kiln and chimney which will be made predominately out of solid red bricks found on the farm.

2011 Original Spring Creek kiln design

1 comment: