Thursday, February 16, 2012

Building the Spring Creek Kiln: The Materials

I planned to dig the firebox into the slope of the site. The foundation for the kiln would be the heavy clay soil with a generous layer of sand\gravel on it. We collected the sand\gravel (predominately quartz) from the creek.



Moving the gravel from the creek to the kiln site
I ordered fire bricks from Sydney and got them delivered to Parkes. We then moved the 3 tonne of bricks to the farm in several loads. I would be using a 42% alumina dense firebrick for the lining of the chamber, firebox and base of the chimney. The bricks will be laid with a thin layer of mortar made up of 50% fireclay and 50% sand. The rest of the construction will be what ever I can find or what ever will do including local rocks and local clay.


My wife Katrina and I stacking the first load of fire bricks

No comments:

Post a Comment