Saturday, February 11, 2012

Building the Spring Creek Kiln: The Site

After firing my work in the ground hog style Olsen kiln at Strathnairn in the ACT. I decided I would attempt to build a wood kiln on location and fire my work in it using wood available on the farm to complement my project. At this stage I didn't have a design or plan, instead I selected the site first. As the creek that runs through the farm floods I needed something on higher ground. I selected a spot which was up from the house and on a slight slope.


late 2011 selecting Kiln site
The soil on the site is quite heavy and contains a lot of clay. As I plan to minimise the materials I transport to the location and use a range of available materials, I saw this as an advantage. I got my father to clear the site with the tractor.


late 2011 clearing the kiln site

No comments:

Post a Comment